By Felix Quigley
On November 15, 2007 the results of a very important and comprehensive poll of Israeli Jewish people was taken. The people who carried out this poll were of the highest integrity. The results were interpreted by IMRA. What is happening in the world today is massive lying about reality. We experienced this on the whole issue of Yugoslavia, it is happening in relation to China and Tibet, it is happening in relation to Russia and the encirclement of Russia by Bush’s US Imperialism, and it is happening in all of the lies told against Israel.Who, you may also ask, is IMRA? The following is a little information on IMRA:
Dr. Aaron Lerner, Director IMRA (Independent Media Review & Analysis)
(Mail POB 982 Kfar Sava)
Tel 972-9-7604719/Fax 972-3-7255730
INTERNET ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
Let us put one thing to bed immediately. I know of Dr Lerner as a pro Israel advocate and so what! He is truthful in his analysis of this poll. If the poll has not been conducted on the basis of scientific probity then we say to the enemies of Israel and to our enemies…prove it! We on 4international stand by the veracity of this poll.
Furthermore we believe that this poll is of the most fundamental importance for Israel, for the Jewish people, and also for us as revolutionary socialists and as Trotskyists.
Our position on Israel follows on from that of Leon Trotsky in the 1930s, when he called for Jews to at all costs escape from Europe and certain death at the hands of the Nazi Fascists, and make their way to Palestine. There, Trotsky asserted, the Jews must set up their Jewish state which they must make free from antisemitism.
This poll is therefore of fundamental importance to us on this site. It is in fact the very political foundation of our work. Much more on that aspect of things at a later stage. Here we want to simply give our readers the facts of this poll of Israeli public opinion in order to educate our cadre and readers.
[begin report on poll here]
A poll carried out within the last month shows strong opposition to the positions that Secretary Condoleeza Rice and President Shimon Peres have repeatedly claimed are held by Israel’s Jews. It turns out that the Jews of Israel do not want the IDF to withdraw from most of Judea and Samaria, do not believe the Palestinian Authority is responsible or capable of stopping terror against Israel, do believe that Hamas is likely to topple Mahmoud Abbas in the West Bank. Israeli Jews overwhelming oppose dividing Jerusalem and recoil at the idea of transferring sovereignty over the Temple Mount.
The telephone poll of a representative sample of 1,012 adult Israeli Jews was carried out by Maagar Mohot Survey Institute (headed by Professor Yitzchak Katz) on 18-26 October 2007.
Survey error +/- 4.5 percentage points. The poll was commissioned by the Israel Policy Center for Promoting Parliamentary Democracy and Jewish Values in Israeli Public Life. The Jerusalem-based center is headed by Prof. Yitzhak Klein, who also advises the Knesset Law Committee.
Text of questions and results as translated by IMRA:
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is carrying out negotiations with the head of the PA, Abu Mazen, on an agreement that he claims will advance an arrangement with the Palestinians, within the framework of which the IDF will withdraw from Judea and Samaria, Jewish communities will be evacuated from there, part of Jerusalem will be transferred to the Palestinians and a Palestinian state will be established in those areas.
1. In your opinion, is Abu Mazen and his government able or unable today to prevent terror attacks and the firing of rockets against Israel from the areas of Judea and Samaria?
Unable 77% Maybe 10% Able 12% Other replies 1%
2. Should Israel withdraw form the territories of Judea and Samaria and Jerusalem, what do you think the chances are that Hamas takes over these areas?
No chance 5% Very low chance 7%
Middle chance 21%
High chance 27% Very high 38%
Other replies 2%
3. In your opinion, what are the chances that rockets will be fired at Israeli cities should the IDF withdraw from areas in Judea and Samaria or Jerusalem?
No chance 5% Very low 13%
High 23% Very high 32%
Other replies 2%
4. There are those who maintain that within 3 to 5 years Israel will have a system to defend about rockets that will prevent the Israeli heartland from being hit. Do you think that in the future it may be possible to rely on such a system to provide sufficient protection?
No 32% Maybe 36% Yes 28% Other replies 4%
5. In light of the current situation of the PA, do you support or oppose Israel committing to transfer sovereignty over the Temple Mount to the Palestinians?
Oppose 78% Maybe 9% Support 11% Other replies 2%
6. In light of the current situation of the PA, do you support or oppose that Israel should commit to transfer parts of Jerusalem to Palestinian control??
Oppose 69% Maybe 11% Support 17% Other replies 3%
7. In light of the current situation of the PA, do you support or oppose that Israel should commit to remove the IDF from most of Judea and Samaria, and transfer it to Palestinian control?
Oppose 61% Maybe 15% Support 22% Other replies 2%
8. In light of the experience with the disengagement, do you support or oppose that Israel should commit to a mass evacuation of Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria?
Oppose 65% Maybe 13% Support 19% Other replies 3%
9.In light of past experience, do you believe that the evacuation of communities and withdrawal of the IDF from territories strengthens or weakens Israel security and international standing?
Weakens 59% Strengthens 33% Other replies 8%
10. Do you support or oppose the proposal according to which the State of Israel will offer reasonable compensation to Palestinians in Judea and Samaria in order that they agree to emigrate to other countries?
Support 54% Oppose 38% Other replies 8%
11. Do you agree or disagree with the claim that today, in retrospect, the drive to achieve peace with the Palestinians has done damage to the State of Israel?
Agree 52% Disagree 40% Other replies 8%
12. Do you agree or disagree with the claim that in light of the experience of the past Israel should deal with the Palestinians with a tougher approach and not seek simple ways to solve the Israel-Arab conflict?
Agree 65% Disagree 28% Other replies 7%
13. What do you think is closer to the truth?
36% The main purpose of Ehud Olmert’s drive for an agreement with Abu Mazen is his concern for Israel’s national interests.
53% The main purpose of Ehud Olmert’s drive for an agreement with Abu Mazen is his concern for his personal and political future 11% Other replies
14. What do you think is closer to the truth 34% The main purpose of the Kadima Party’s drive for an agreement with Abu Mazen is concern for Israel’s national interests.
55% The main purpose of the Kadima Party’s drive for an agreement with Abu Mazen is the desire to insure the continuation of the coalition and remaining in power.
11% Other replies
15. Today there are four criminal investigations underway against prime minister Ehud Olmert. The prime minister announced that he does not intend to temporarily remove himself because of thee investigations. Should the Knesset act now to (temporarily) remove or to expel Olmert from his position?
Yes 55% No 40% Other replies 5%
16. What do you think is closer to the truth?
39% The main reason that minister Avigdor Lieberman favors dividing Jerusalem is his concern for the national interests of Israel 45% The main reason that minister Avigdor Lieberman favors dividing Jerusalem is his desire to keep his seat in the Olmert Government 16% Other replies 16%
17. in light of the remarks of Minister Avigdor Lieberman favoring the division of Jerusalem do you see him today as more trustworthy or less than in the past?
Less trustworthy 46% No change 32% More 13% Other replies 9%
18. Minister Eli Yishai, chairman of the Shas Party, said a number of weeks ago that Shas will not give its hand to the division of Jerusalem. In light of this declaration, do you think that Shas should leave the Olmert Government if an agreement is signed with Abu Mazen that includes the division of Jerusalem?
Should not 29% Should 60% Other replies 11%
19. What do you think is closer to the truth?
29% The main motive of Shas in its decisions on policy is the national interest of Israel 65% The main motive of Shas in its decisions on policy is the desire to retain the positions and budgets that they have within the framework of the Olmert Government 06% Other replies
20. Minister of Education Yuli Tamir decided recently to include in the history books used in Israeli schools information according to which some Israeli Arabs see the War of Independence of Israel as “Nakba”, namely a national disaster for the Palestinian People. Do you support or oppose Minister Tamir’s decision?
Support 32% Oppose 63% Other replies 5%
21. The JNF was founded by the Zionist movement in order to purchase land in Israel and to settle Jews in it. Recently the Supreme Court ruled that the JNF cannot designate its land exclusively for Jewish settlement, and in light of this the Knesset approved, in a preliminary reading, a law that permits designating the land of the JNF exclusively to Jews. Do you support or oppose this proposed law?
Support 63% Oppose 31% Other replies 6%
22. Last year a number of organizations and prominent leaders of the Israeli-Arab population published position papers, within which they rejected the nature of Israel as the state of the Jewish People. In light of this position, do you agree or disagree with the assertion that Israeli Arabs should not be citizens of the State and it would be better if they took another citizenship?
Agree 42% Disagree 46% Other replies 12%
Background question: (Of great importance…FQ)
Religiosity: Secular 51% Traditional 24% National-religious 10% Ultra Orthodox 12% Other replies 3%
[end report on poll here]
Postscript by Felix Quigley
Many thanks to the wonderful people in Israel who carried out this truthful poll of the thinking among ordinary Israelis, carried out to the highest scientific level of probity. We on this site have never before seen such an outstanding piece of scientific work. This is exactly what we on this site need in order to counter the lies of those who hate Israel, of the Antisemites, and it will help our leadership to orient ourselves correctly in the period ahead. We will return to our analysis of this report in future articles on 4international so we ask our readers to study the above very carefully indeed and to keep the results very firmly in your minds.